The MOECC has made a Regulation Decision Notice related to EBR Post # 012-4549 that came into effect January 1, 2016.
“The Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change filed amendments to the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Regulation (O.Reg. 452/09) in December 2015 that will come into force on January 1, 2016 (see regulation & amended guideline).
The amendments include:
- Lowering the reporting threshold to 10,000 tonnes CO2e from the current threshold of 25,000 tonnes per year, while maintaining the requirement to have emissions greater than 25,000 tonnes per year third party verified.
- Dividing the emission sources into those that only need to report and those that require third party verification.
- Clarification on verification to allow for the use of qualified positive, in addition to positive and adverse verification statements.
- Adding petroleum product suppliers and natural gas distributors to the reporting regulation starting in 2016, to support the implementation of a cap and trade program.
- Adding other sources to the reporting regulation including:
- Equipment used for natural gas transmission, distribution and storage,
- Electricity imports,
- Electricity transmission and distribution,
- Magnesium production, and
- Mobile equipment at facilities (optional reporting only).”
See Ontario – Report Greenhouse Gas Emissions post Jan. 18, 2016 under Regulatory Updates for more information.