The Waste-Free Ontario Act and Strategy
June 2, 2016
On June 1, 2016 the MOECC announced that “Ontario has passed the Waste-Free Ontario Act and will be finalizing the draft Strategy for a Waste-Free Ontario: Building the Circular Economy, within three months of the legislation coming into effect.”
The MOECC stated that the legislation and strategy would:
- “Foster innovation in product and packaging design that encourages businesses to design long-lasting, reusable and easily recyclable products
- Boost recycling across all sectors, especially in the industrial, commercial and institutional sectors, which will reduce waste and lower greenhouse gas emissions
- Incent companies to look for ways to make their recycling processes more economical while staying competitive
- Shift the costs of the blue box from municipal taxpayers to producers while continuing to provide convenient collection services for Ontarians.
- Develop an action plan to reduce the amount of organic materials going to landfills.”
The Waste-Free Ontario Act & Strategy read article here.
Ontario Passes New Waste-Free Ontario Act – read article here.